Monday, July 03, 2006

When you're arguing with a fool....

An old saying goes "When you're arguing with a fool, make sure he isn't doing the same thing". Native Americans say "Listen or your tongue will keep you deaf" and a quote from the book of Proverbs in the Bible goes “Hear counsel, and receive instruction, that thou mayest be wise.” (Prov. 19:20.)

A wise father once said “I do a greater amount of good when I listen to my children than when I talk to them.” and I'd have to agree, though I wonder why it took me so long to realise that. The sad thing is that very few people do listen and if you do take the time to really listen to someone, it may be the first time anybody's done that, in a long time.

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen."
Ernest Hemingway

"A good listener is not only popular everywhere, but after a while he knows something."
Wilson Mizner

No comments: